Friday, October 22, 2010

Toys

I am obviously over-thinking this. But today I went to a consignment sale (www.ockidsconsignment.com) to buy Christmas gifts for the girls. I spent $51 on "gently used" toys. I was fairly proud of myself. I got an easel, a sit 'n spin, noah's ark set, refrigerator phonics set and wooden alphabet blocks for Mwende. I got abc stacking boxes, wooden stacking blocks, a pull toy telephone, butterfly spin toy and a sweater for Mwelu. I did good! Right? Well I got home and separated out what they would get for Christmas/Mwelu's birthday and gave them the rest to play with now. I was sitting on the floor with Mwelu watching her try to figure out the butterfly spin toy and suddenly just felt very sad. Here I am spending $51 on toys for my children that we don't really have room for anyway. Not to mention they have plenty of toys already. And yet there are millions of children around the world who not only don't have any toys to play with, they don't have enough food to eat or clean water to drink. There are children who's childhood has been lost to them due to poverty or war. And I'm buying my children toys they don't need. Are they enjoying them? Yes. Does that make me feel better right now? No. Should I stop buying my kids frivolous things and put that money instead towards these children who need it more? I don't know the answer to that. And it bugs me. I'm not trying to preach. Just sharing the thoughts going through my head. It helps me organize my thoughts to write it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment