Monday, March 9, 2009

Time to wake up!

In service yesterday, we had a visiting missionary from Kenya come to speak. His message was something that I think I really need to hear. It was really simple. I need to wake up from this spiritual slumber that I'm in and pray to God! The following is Matthew 26:38-45. I've highlighted some of the words. 

38Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.39Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." 40Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. 41"Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.42He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done." 43When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy.44So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing. 45Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour is near, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

I find also that my spirit is willing, but that my body is weak. I yearn to be so close to God that I am constantly talking to Him, constantly aware of his presence. Somehow though, I never make that time to pray. I never pick up His word and see what He has to say to me today. It seems to me that Jesus was frustrated that his disciples continued to sleep and rest even though He had asked them to watch with Him. I can only imagine that He feels the same frustration with me right now. How am I supposed to raise a daughter who is passionately in love with Jesus if I can't demonstrate that same love? I can't. So, for whatever reason that I have been sleeping thus far, I need to take responsibility for my spiritual life. I thank God that He has put me with a group of other Christian ladies that I can fellowship with. That makes it easier for me, but I have to do it at home too. So if you'll excuse me, I am going to go pick up that dusty Bible!

2 comments:

  1. Your great! Im so happy God has brought you and your family into my life! this is an exciting time for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I found your blog! And, thank you for the VERY sweet comments you left on mine. This has DEFINITELY been a trying time, but I DO feel so covered in prayer. It's funny; as awful as this journey has been, I can hardly describe how greatly it has strengthened my walk with God.

    ReplyDelete